Friday, July 29, 2011

Mean Stinks Stop Bullying




You’ll never hear about stuff we hate, just stuff we heart.


We’re nice that way.

Q&A: Amber Riley Hates a Bully


July 28, 2011


Part of the reason why we love Glee is because it's about the underdogs -- the ones who are bullied, but still prevail! So, it makes perfect sense that Glee star Amber Riley has partnered with Secret and PACER’s National Bullying Prevention Center for the Mean Stinks campaign.

We sat down with Amber to talk about the campaign, bullying and, of course, that show she's on:

I Heart Daily: What made you want to join the Mean Stinks Campaign?


Amber Riley: I want to help girls deal with bullying and take a stand against it. I get so many letters from girls and I want to inform them and give them a resource that helps deal with bullying and other tough issues.

IHD: Have you ever been bullied?


AR: I have been made fun of and teased, you know, like every other person. I did have a friend in high school who was a bully and I separated myself from her because I didn’t want to be associated with that. Actually my senior year, she wrote me a letter saying she knew she was wrong. She kind of just like apologized because she did miss our friendship and we had two totally different high school experiences -- she missed out because she was busy being mean.

IHD: Has Glee has opened a dialogue about bullying?


AR: I think there was a dialogue already before Glee even touched it. But Glee gave another opinion and added to [the discussion].

IHD: What would you tell someone who feels like they're in a hopeless situation in regards to being bullied?


AR: I would tell them if you can remove yourself from the situation, do. If not, tell an adult. Talk about it, don’t just keep it in and keep being bullied or get down on yourself and let it get worse. Secret's Mean Stinks page offers a forum for those who want advice from experts and peers. It’s a great place to start, but of course you still need to speak with an adult or person you trust as well.

IHD: Great advice. So... what are you hearting right now?


AR: I heart sleep because I’m deprived! So, I heart sleep, for sure!

Thanks, Amber! Sleep is key -- go rest! Everyone else, a coupon at Facebook.com/MeanStinks -- for every Secret Clinical Strength coupon redeemed Secret will donate $1 to the cause. Cool!


read more entertainment at iheartdaily.com

No comments: